This post isn't about me being a fussy eater but may as well be...



I’m going to start this off by saying that you need to work however is best and most productive for you because everyone is different. This is just what works for me and what I find most helpful in day to day life. My job requires me to be someone who forward plans a lot and resolves issues before they arise, expect the unexpected so to speak, or put out fires before they alight perhaps. I’m pretty good at my job, I am great at planning for things which haven’t happened yet and ensure that everything goes to plan and takes place when it needs to. That being said – in my personal life, we’re looking at a totally different person.

I’ll let you in on a little secret which isn’t really a secret if you ask any of my family and friends, I am AWFUL - and I mean shockingly bad – at making plans. I don’t like making decisions, whether it’s where to eat, what time to meet up, whether I’m going to an event, what film to see at the cinema – don’t bother asking me because my response will be ‘I don’t mind’. Why do we do that by the way? Say ‘I don’t mind’ when, we definitely do mind. I say that I don’t mind where we eat, yet I’m the fussiest eater ever, and will say no to every suggestion until we end up in Nando’s. Rubbish at decision making in my personal life, excellent at decision making in my professional life. Weird how that works isn’t it?

Anyway, this isn’t supposed to be about my fussy eating habits or my constant battle with not minding but actually really minding, a lot. I wanted to speak to you about the one thing which I do both in my personal and professional life, a little bit of consistency (and sorry to ruin the surprise, it’s not decision making).

Plan, I plan my weeks/days as much as possible just to ensure I have a little bit of structure. My job has lots of deadlines that need to be met, all individually are small deadlines but together, if they are missed will affect the end result hugely. I use my email calendar at work religiously, Outlook is my brain. Equally, I use my phone calendar religiously to keep on top of any plans I have made with family/friends as well as all of my monthly bills. Without my 2 calendars I’d be jobless, in debt, with no mates because I’ll tell you one thing and that is that my memory is horrendous. If I don’t write it down or set a reminder, I WILL forget – no question about it.

So as I’ve said, the one thing I would recommend to you (if you don’t already) is utilise what you have, I think too many of us forget that we even have a calendar on our phones. It’s there for a reason – you have it with you all day every day and means you don’t have to remember everything that needs to be done or every plan that has been made. It also gives you no excuse to forget plans… Funny thing is, my mum doesn’t use her iPhone calendar at all, she has a diary – something which I buy every single year without fail and is still good as new by the time January 1st of the next year rolls around. I suppose that shows a difference in generations but also where I get this need to plan and make note of everything from.

Plan, people – I’m not talking 5 year plans, I’m talking just keeping on top of your life, what you’re doing each week and when you have to (sadly) pay bills – it’s a life saver, trust me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflection

"Life is full of them"